Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Giving Thanks for the Precious Gifts in Our Lives

We spent Thanksgiving this year with the Sturdivant extended family. We missed my Uncle Gaines' family and my brother, Walker, but everyone else was able to be there. Unfortunately, my grandmother fell and was taken to the ER for stitches, so our celebration was cut a little short. I am thankful to report that she is fine, just a little sore. We all gathered at Long Last Farm (my aunt and uncle's place) for a great reunion.



And a Sturdivant gathering wouldn't be complete without some sort of competition. Growing up, we played Bingo for prizes every year. I know that this sounds like something that you would only see at a retirement home, but my family found a way to make Bingo into a contact sport. (At the end of each round, the winners would race back to another room to choose a prize. There were usually a few bruises and injuries as a result.) A couple of years ago, Bingo was replaced with Left/Right/Center - a dice game. This year, we played twice and Gary won BOTH times (very very difficult to do). Needless to say, he was more than a little proud - but completely humble. He would NEVER rub it in that he had won all of the money!!


Aside from Grandmom's fall, we enjoyed eating yummy food, seeing family, and reflecting on all the reasons that we have to give thanks!

"Thou hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more, - a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days,
But such a heart whose pulse may be Thy praise.
-George Herbert


No comments: